gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

The Onan generator in my motorhome is a 8HDKAK11451K. After

Customer Question

The Onan generator in my motorhome is a 8HDKAK11451K. After the motorhome sets unoccupied for awhile the fuel pump on the generator starts to pump fuel. In heard this is a software bug. Does Onan have a fix? The local dealer never heard of this but I remember reading about this problem in a motorhome magazine a few months ago but don't remember the magazine. How do I get it fixed?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have never heard of it either........but, I will opt out of this and let our Onan tech offer something. Not much about these that he doesn't know about! Thanks for coming to Just Answer with this. Please be patient as he is very busy due to the large number of genset questions we get here every day. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall,
I have not heard from your "Onan" guy. Am I going to hear from him soon? I was glad to pay
"justanswer" extra money for a 2 hour response and I understand that the answer must come from someone that has knowledge specific about Onan generators. If someone wants to call and discuss this problem my number is ***** XXX XXXX and if I don't answer please leave a message and I can call back.Thanks, Ron
Thanks, Ron
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You have to use the phone call request tab here. And I know he comes and goes all the time and has a day job as well. I can let him know you are waiting.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call me on my cell phone. The number is(###) ###-####Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way to reach me is to call my cell phone at(###) ###-####because it is with me all day and every day.I can also be emailed at the email address that justanswer already has.I really need an answer. I don't really care how much it costs. My back up plan is to put a disconnect switch on the fuel pump but since I have read that the problem is caused by a software bug, it seems to me that a software upgrade is a much better way to fix this issue. Again, my cell phone is(###) ###-####Thanks, Ron
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I put in a call to Cummins Northwest which is not far from me and they said it can be caused by one of two things. Either the wires on the remote start may be loose and causing this OR if you have a low voltage start up it can trigger this when the voltage drops in the coach. Other than that, they don't know of any reason this would happen. They don't feel that it is any kind of software issue. Hope that helps.