Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Have a 2011-Holiday Rambler Vacationer. Used the RV at a

Customer Question

Have a 2011-Holiday Rambler Vacationer. Used the RV at a park couple of week ends back and left it there for the week connected to 50 amp service. When I returned last Friday the bedroom slide operated and the living room slide got about 1/3rd out and ran out of power. Also, the refrigerator stopped operating (quite a bad odor). All of the 120V services appeared to operating OK.
I started the engine and ran for a short time and afterwords had 12 volt service.
From then on all equipment 12 volt and 120 volt operated OK until the transformer in the park blew on Sat. night.
At this time I lost service to the refrigerator again and could not get the propane to take over. Do not know if this was an electrical issue or propane. After the power was restored everything was OK again.
I left the motor home at the park yesterday with everything connected and refrigerator on. Anxious to see what situation is when I return this week end.
Do you have any thoughts on what might have happened with the 12 V service.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

When you are plugged into power the inverter will charge the batteries, if you lost the DC power then the batteries would drain down fairly quickly with everything running, so I would want to see the voltage at the batteries when this was happening. IF you had LOW voltage then the inverter may not have been charging, I would go to the inverter make sure you do not have a breaker tripped and then shut the inverter OFF and then back on.

IF you have good battery voltage and were missing the DC power then it could of been an issue with the disconnect solenoid. The solenoid allows power into the RV when the switch inside is pressed. Sometimes when you loose AC power suddenly the solenoid contacts can stick and when that happens you will get no DC power inside the RV, that is what could of happened on this. SO need to check the battery voltage, make sure the inverter is charging, if the battery voltage is good then go to the disconnect solenoid and check for power on the LARGE post, if you have voltage on one side and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the posts and see if the power comes on. IF you can not hear the solenoid click when you hit the switch then follow the house battery cables to the solenoid....... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Follow ups are included, please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Also so we are clear an inverter will charge the battery and allow you to have AC power when you are unplugged. A power converter will not allow you to have AC power unplugged but will also charge the battery. Most big class A units will have an inverter.