gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a 97 freightliner chassis motorhome with a 5.9

Customer Question

I have a 97 freightliner chassis motorhome with a 5.9 cummins. it loses power at highway speeds. I turn off key and turn it on again without taking it out of gear and power resumes immediately. whats the problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I would look at the key switch itself a a possible source of the problem. It might also be a bad connection, especially a dirty ground and I would clean all the connections, especially the ground lead to the chassis. That is a pretty strange problem and one I don't recall seeing here before. This sort of intermittent issue is on of the hardest to diagnose. I think I would contact Freightliner Technical Support and run this by them and see if anyone has reported anything similar. I am adding that link for you. Please get back to me and let me know how this was resolved. Thanks! All follow ups here are included in our fee. http://www.accessfreightliner.com/support/