spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

2008 Monaco diplomat. Right wiper is not working. Spinning

Customer Question

2008 Monaco diplomat. Right wiper is not working. Spinning on wiper idler shaft. Left ok. Happened in a severe rain storm when I put it on high. Like a spun out propeller on a boat.
Left motor wiper is fine. It is like the splines stripped . Any clue?
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Does it have a castle nut holding arm on shaft?

Let me know

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

These use a splined cone shape drive bushings made out of pot metal that goes over each wiper shaft and is square cut internally so it does not slip on shaft, so what happens if the wiper arm looses it's grip on bushing. In fact over time most will loosen up over time so I recommend you tighten all of the nuts on all wiper linkage since they do tend to loosen up on all wiper linkage.

Make sure you do this with engine off, key on, wiper switch in park position,,first move the arm that loosened up by tightening the nut just enough so it grabs and is no tight on shaft,,tr wipers one time to make sure wiper is going to it's normal distance,,shut off key and wipers, Once you know for sure wiper timing is correct go back and tighten all nuts another half turn.

Note: when tightening nuts hold arms from moving,,you may feel the motor trying to fight you that's normal.

Once again test to make sure all okay,,then what I do is put a drop of blue loctite on each nut shaft so the nuts won't loosen up again. If they do loose position juts do this over and re loctite and that will fix your issue.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is raining here right now in mobile, al. I will try fix and reply later. Thanks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, take your time, no hurry, the question will stay open for weeks after a positive rating.

Let me know here if you have any problems.

The worst case I have have ever seen if this does not fix is, the bushing or wiper arm itself would need replacing, but that only happens if you kept running it this way for months at a time.

Happy Trails my Friend

spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know after the rain stops here.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Okay no problem take your time.

I will be doing work around the house but will be checking in often so if I don't reply right away you will know why.

Thanks

spanky

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the fix. Remove cap on wiper base. Position wiper. Tighten nut on shaft. Replace cap.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is what I said in first answer,, I just added the extra information on how the wiper arm is attached,,what can happen,, so if just tightening nut only fixes for a short time you will know what to do.

Here is my First reply quote:,first move the arm that loosened up by tightening the nut just enough so it grabs and is on tight on shaft,,try wipers one time to make sure wiper is going to it's normal distance,,shut off key and wipers, Once you know for sure wiper timing is correct go back and tighten all nuts another half turn.

So eventually just tightening nut will stop working if its already worn to much.

Good luck. Good Job!

spanky