Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Sir, I am stressed out about having bought a 30 AMP coach

Customer Question

Sir,
I am stressed out about having bought a 30 AMP coach and be9ing stuck with it
Left with no other options other than buying a 50 AMP coach
As you know a tradein on a 30 AMP coach will cost me a big part of its value and then the expense of having to buy a new travel trailer
I am trying to avoid this by either running a separate 20 AMP line exclusively for the second air conditioner I need installed in my bedroom vent or , if I am lucky having a second plug in for 15 amp so I can mount an AC on top and run an extension cord to another socket (if there is one). As you know I am not an electrician and trying to figure this out by consult9ing everyone and their 5th cousin. I hope you can help me relieve my stress of being stuck with a 30 AMP 2012 Keystone Cougar 27 RLS.
I am scheduled to redeploy around March 2016 and would like to know if there is someone in San Bernardino county who can rig this up for me minus a fire hazard and how much that would cost. If it cost
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
too much then of course a trade in and new 50 AMP coach purchase is my only recourse
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Thanks for your service, I was in the USN for 6 years was a great experience...

I think the best and safest way would be to replace the cord and breaker panel with a 50 amp service. I would have a RV shop in your area do this change out. As far as labor you are looking at about a full day to do that and another 4 hours to install an AC unit if it is not pre-wired. So with the cost of the labor and parts for the AC unit you are looking at around 3000 ballpark to accomplish this. I would have a RV shop do the repair, what you need to know that a 30 amp service is one 110 hot leg and a 50 amp service is 2 110 hot legs. SO when it is wired you would have two hot legs coming into the RV supplying the panel. IF someone did not know what they were doing and wired 1 hot leg of 220 it would be damaging to the RV. I would call three RV shops in your area for an estimate, most will give free estimates over the phone or might want to see the unit. I suspect about 12 hours labor which would be about 1200, looking at 500 to 800 for an ac unit, another 500 for the cord and panel so roughly 2500 to 3000 to make this happen. Normally to be safe you would want the breaker panel inside with circuit protection supplying the roof ac unit. Have not see one wired direct to an outlet.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert