Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I have a one ton1999 chevy motor home. The generator is ONAN

Customer Question

I have a one ton1999 chevy motor home. The generator is ONAN Model 4BGEFA26100P, S/N K980821315, #4000 on unit. When the motor home is plugged into electrical outlet the generator will not fire up. Do you have schematics, what do I need to do or what parts are needed to repair? Thank you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It isn't supposed to......that can damage either the genset or the automatic transfer switch. ONLY one AC source can be on at a time. Hope that clarifies this for you, but please get back to me if you need more or if I am not fully understanding the situation correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I plug into motor home the generator will not throttle up to generate. It works fine in standard plug in.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean "When I plug into motorhome....." here? Are you plugging in the shore cord into a J-box near the cord? And are you saying it works fine when you plug the shore cord into a regular outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not going to call you .. I am not going to pay another $18 to talk with you. when the motor home is on shore plugged in everything works fine. Now, my complaint when the generator is running and taken off the shore and plugged into the motor home it will not generate. What parts am I going to need to fix this. It has something to do with the throttle up. I am a mechanic. I do know what I am talking about!!!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just trying to be sure I understood what you were describing here. I will opt out and let our Onan tech offer something on that portion. He is swamped with questions and has a day job so be patient. Thanks!

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

This unit will not run if it is not producing power, so it is producing power.

As such, there are only a couple of possibilities here:

1. The circuit breaker on the genset is tripped. Check it out, and reset if necessary.

2. You have a broken connection between the genset and the receptacle. I can not tell if your pigtail goes directly to the receptacle, or if there is a junction box in between. The pigtail is only 3 feet long, so if the receptacle is further than 3 feet away, there is a junction box. Both the junction box and the receptacle are common places for connections to have come loose. Check both very carefully (if you have both).

3. The receptacle itself is bad. This would be very rare, but can happen. Remove the receptacle from the electrical box, and test for gen input into the back of the receptacle. If you have good power going in, but none coming out, the receptacle is bad.

By the way - this unit does not "idle up" when a load is applied. This is a constant speed genset, and runs at the same speed whether there is no load on it, or if it is a full load.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?