Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2001 palomino pickup camper with Atwood electric

Customer Question

I have a 2001 palomino pickup camper with Atwood electric jacks that quit working. At first they quit working on DC which wasn't a big thing since they would work on shore power. In time they would work intermittently and now not at all.
The camper does not have a battery and must be plugged into the truck for DC. I've checked the fuses. The only twist is that I've had to reconnect the plug after I pulled the wires out when I pulled away after unloading and had forgotten to unplug the 7-way. I was already having jack issues and would assume that they still ought to work on AC. Any suggestions?
Kenny Cochran
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Normally the electric jacks are wired directly to the battery, so I would try and follow the cables from the jacks and see where they are going. As a test you might be able to get a 12 volt DC source and jump the motor leads for the jacks and see if they operate. Sometimes on the cable they will use an auto breaker, below is a picture, it would be near the jacks or where the battery should be, most have a small tab that pops out when they trip. I might also install a battery, it really is not good to run with out one, the battery acts as a filter for the converter when you are plugged into power, a power converter can make AC ripple or dirty voltage and a battery in the loop acts as a filter. I would see where the cables are going for the jacks it sounds like someone may have tied them in with the charge line for the tow plug.... Robert

Breaker...