Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

HAVE A 98 WIN.PARKING BRAKE DOES NOT INGAUGE IN PARK OR PULL

Customer Question

HAVE A 98 WIN.PARKING BRAKE DOES NOT INGAUGE IN PARK OR PULL BUTTON
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Joe,

I will assume your motorhome has a Chevrolet chassis.

If the park brake does not hold the coach , then the brake shoes may have been severely worn or damaged from dragging on the drum while in travel.
This often happens when there is a fluid leak in the auto park brake hydraulic system- causing a loss of pressure while the coach is being driven.

The park brake shoes are located inside the drum on the transmission tailshaft.In most cases , the park brake drum will need to be removed , and the shoes inspected for damage. The park brake cable will need to be adjusted as well.Note: be sure the wheels are blocked - before working underneath the coach.
If the shoes are worn away or the drum shows signs of heat damage , then it is likely there is a fluid leak in the auto park brake system that must be repaired as well.A slow fluid leak in the auto-park system will result in the park brake shoes dragging and burning away in travel.

-Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

-Joe