peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

The slide out on my 1998 Tropi Cal motorhome will move about

Customer Question

The slide out on my 1998 Tropi Cal motorhome will move about 8 inches either way, but then makes a grinding noise like a gear slipping. Where is the mechanism located on the slide out so I can find out what is wrong? I'm working on the dinette slide out, not the bedroom one.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I don't have the info on this model on how to get to the slide or gear but I see no one has replied with any help on this.From what you have described here this sounds like the gear for the slide is stripped or possibly some debris is stuck in the slide track.If you can I would inspect the slide guides and track and see if any debris is found needing removed and to see if any gears are stripped at all needing replaced.If you are unable to do this or this has already been checked let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.