peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

2002 Cummins 5.9 turns over but no start. GD booster pump

Customer Question

2002 Cummins 5.9 turns over but no start. GD booster pump from tank to engine working but no start on signal detected at on engine pump. ECM or VP 44 problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If your pump is running but no fuel is coming out there is a chance that there is debris in the tank plugging up the pick up tube or strainer in the tank needing removed and cleaned out or there may be a pinched or damaged fuel line from the tank itself.If this has not been inspected this needs done.If this was already checked and found o.k. or is not what is occuring here with this issue let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booster pump working fine w/ fuel. On engine pump not running start protocol of 5-7 seconds on and then shutting of until start.Question is - is on engine electric fuel pump controlled by ECM or computer board on VP44 injector pump? This engine is the model between the mechanical injector pump and the common rail system, w/ electrical controls on the pump head- 1998 to 2005.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here and I don't have the complete diagrams or operation controls for this myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete