Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I am a competent home mechanic, engineer and tinkerer. I

Customer Question

I am a competent home mechanic, engineer and tinkerer. I wish to build a refrigerated box large enough to hang a quartered elk. I will insulate heavily but need to locate a propane powered refrigeration unit that could cool the box to 45F or below when outside temperatures are in the 70-80F range. If propane is insufficient, my RV has a 2500W generator that could be used to power an electric refrigerator. Does such a refrigeration unit exist?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What are the dimensions of the "box" you are building? Get back to me with this and I can make some suggestions for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Likely 8'x8'x4' with the ability to expand to 8'x8'x8'
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You might have to use two cooling units...........and it would be cheaper to use just standard refrigeration equipment. The only problem would be the power I suspect. You must be in a area without any regular AC power. If you do use LP fired units, they would still need some type of air mover I suspect in there. It could be 12 VDC powered. How important is the cost here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Likely 8'x8'x8'
More often it will be 8'x4'x8'
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my previous response? And how important is the overall cost here? Cooling units and part can run quite a bit. Finding some used units would help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like I have found a refrigeration solution for about $700 using my RV generator and an air conditioning unit. Coolbot makes a product to force the AC unit to cool to <40 F
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That should work fine...........and I hesitated suggesting that due to the capabilities of your generator. It will be hard to run most A/C units on only 2500 watts. Most need about 3500 or more. They have a hard time starting up due to the load on the compressor. Maybe get a generator that is slightly larger. I still think you can make this using two LP powered cooling units and not need a generator, but there is more than one way to do this..........hence my question about the cost and if that was an important factor. Get back to me if you need more on this later. Good question and one I hadn't seen in my 6+ years here.