gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Pilot light works but chimney won't light

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This doesn't have a pilot light, but electronic ignition off the control board. It does stay on as long as you want the fridge to cool. It takes a good steady 12 VDC power source for that board. Do you have good batteries that are fully charged? Are you plugged into a good 120 VAC source that can keep them charged up? Please get back to me with this information and I can help you sort this out. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is good, and it does have burner and stays lit but before you could hear it light up(chimney) and would start to cool freezer and refrigerator. I had it plugged into ac and freezer and frig worked but on propane no
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

So it cools on the AC mode, but not on LP mode? When did you have the LP pressure at the tank regulator checked last? That should be done every year. You might also have some bug debris inside the burner that is keeping it from igniting. I am adding a link to the Norcold Service Manual that covers this model. Follow the tips on the trouble shooting and see what you find. Start with those two above. You may need a small digital multimeter for some of these tests. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use and I can guide you in the testing. I will also make a phone call option available for you if you think that would be helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to do more here as all of the follow ups are included in our fee and expected. Thanks! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have multimeter, but how do I access burner to check for debri? Lp regulater is good I believe but how do I check that?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The tank regulator pressure has to be checked with a manometer. Most shops can do that for you if you take it off and into them. Some aren't adjustable. A new regulator should cost you about $39 or so. Marshall makes a good one. Look carefully at the slots in the burner and see if you can see any mud stuck in there. Spiders get into the burner as well. You can blow it out some, but on this model you usually have to remove it to be able to clean it properly. See that section of the manual. I would print out a copy of that if you can as there is a lot of great information in there.