Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Atwood furnace Model 8531. Blower runs, propane is on, unit

Customer Question

Atwood furnace Model 8531. Blower runs, propane is on, unit fires but blows out immediately. When I placed my hand over the exhaust and made back pressure unit stayed lit and exhaust got warm but not hot. After several minutes I took my hand off exhaust and unit shut down immediately. Why no back pressure? Heat exchanger looks fine, clean no visible cracks no rust or corrosion. 10 years old unit.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Start by checking the LP working pressure at the tank regulator. That needs to be checked and adjusted at least once a year and is often neglected. Some aren't adjustable and may have to be replaced if they aren't in spec range. That and low voltage are the two largest sources of problems in these. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Service Manual for this model. Print out a copy or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it again later. Hope this proves helpful. Please get back to me if you need more once you have checked this. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf