Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a tiffin Phaeton 2008. The level jacks (ATWOOD)

Customer Question

I have a tiffin Phaeton 2008. The level jacks (ATWOOD) controller continued issuing error messages on the control panel inside the RV. The error was saying the front driver side jack was down, when in fact, it was not. We looked at the controller board under the RV, which has 4 (resistors?) for each motor that controls the jacks. Three of the 4 resistors were burnt. I pulled the board and sent it for repair at RADWELL international. Since the board was pulled, and reinstalled, the air suspension doesn't seem to be working. Is there something we need to do to "reboot" the air suspension? Also, the front driver side jack burnt the resistor on the controller board for a second time. The front driver side jack won't extend with a direct 12 volt battery source. All other jacks extend and retract fine with a direct 12 volt connection.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Chances are good that the motor on that jack or the gears are the problem. The jack needs to be removed and checked. As you know, there are no parts to speak of for this system and you may end up needing some used ones. I don't know about the air suspension, so I will opt out of this and let another tech offer something if they can. And do you feel Radwell did a good job repairing the board? Please let me know on that part..............

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Yes you can set the air dump on the system, click HERE and see page 3 to set air dump mode, hopefully that gets you going on the air suspension....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Radwell repaired the board. They repaired it a second time after the driver side jack burnt it again. Yes, we know there are no parts. We can live without the jacks...not that important. But we can't drive without air suspension. That's the most important part....will I hear back on that soon?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I just sent you the procedure on how to set the air dump, click HERE again and see page 3.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does this mean on page 3......Air dump feature does need to be enabled for this
feature to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I enable the air dump feature.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

YOU have to set it at the pad, I sent the info....

TO SET AIR DUMP MODE 1. If LEDs blink left-to-right and back again, your RV has the Air Dump feature. a. To enable Air Dump, press the “DRIVER” button (FIG 9-G) three (3) times. The driver side LEDs (FIG 9-H) will illuminate for 3 seconds and shut off. Press “ON” (9-A), then “RET” “All” to retract all Levelegs (FIG 9-E and 9-F). b. To disable Air Dump, press the “PASSENGER” button (FIG 9-I) three (3) times. The passenger side LEDs (FIG 9-J) will illuminate for 3 seconds and shut off. Press “ON” (FIG 9-A), then “RET” “All” to retract all Levelegs (FIG 9-E and 9-F) c. If the Air Dump feature is not set or has never been configured, the system will wait for 30 seconds. It will default to “Not Configured” and the passenger side LEDs will illuminate for 3 seconds and shut off. 2. To change Air Dump from enabled to disabled or vice versa, have the engine running, the park brake engaged and the transmission in PARK. a. Press “ON” (FIG 9-A) to turn the controls off. b. Press the “EXT” button (FIG 9-D) ten (10) times. c. Press the “RET” button (FIG 9-E) ten (10) times. d. The LEDs will blink left-to-right and back again. Go up to step 3 above and follow the directions to either enable (step 3-a) or disable (step 3-b) the Air Dump feature. e. To check the status of the Air Dump, wait 30 seconds and see which LEDs illuminate. If the air dump is enabled, the driver side LEDs (FIG 9-H) will illuminate and if the air dump is disabled, the passenger side LEDs (FIG 9-J) will illuminate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
understand...one more question. Can I still enable the air dump even when that pad is beeping at me, complaining about the driver's side jack?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

That I do not know, I would still try it also there is another procedure that might help with that jack, let me grab that for you, give me a second.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the directions state that I need to do a "Retract All" which I cannot. The Front Driver side indicator is complaining that it is down.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Try this first and then see if you can enable the air dump.

TROUBLE SHOOTING SEQUENCE 1. Disconnect power to any jack by unplugging the jack quick connect wiring at the jack motor. 2. Turn power ON to keyboard by pressing the "ON" button. 3. Press “RET” and “ALL” buttons together to put system in error. 4. The buzzer should sound on the keypad and the ***** *****ghts should be blinking red and green. 5. Turn keypad OFF by pressing the "ON" button. 6. Reconnect power to disconnected jack. 7. Turn keypad ON by pressing "ON" button. 8. Hold down the "EXT" button and the "DRIVER" and "REAR" buttons together for 10 seconds to run the driver rear jack down. 9. Hold down the "EXT" button and the "PASS" and "REAR" buttons together for 10 seconds to run the passenger rear jack down. 10. Hold down the "EXT" button and the "DRIVER" and "FRONT" buttons together for 10 seconds to run the driver front jack down. 11. Hold down the "EXT" button and the "PASS" and "FRONT" buttons together for 10 seconds to run the passenger front jack down. 12. Visually inspect to see that all jacks moved and went down a few inches. 13. Press and release the "RET" and "ALL" buttons together to bring the jacks up. 14. All jacks will come up to full retraction and stop after a few clutches of the motor. 15. Turn OFF keypad by pressing "ON" button...

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, when I try to run that jack up and down with a 12 volt battery, it won't move. I'm afraid that trying to run it up again will "re-fry" my controller board. I'm going to go with the directions for dumping and reloading the air bags. Am I able to follow up on this thread for more info after I try these things? How long will this ticket stay open?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if you sheered a pin if it will not move when you jump power direct, I have seen some of the Atwood's do that and when they do the pin gets stuck in the gears and the jack will not move. I do not want you to damage anything, that is the last thing I want to see. Yes you can follow up, I am around daily and respond when I can. Please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you can help me get this thing rolling, I will gladly rate you Excellent. Right now, with no air suspension, we can't even drive it. It's an hour away from me so I'll run out there tomorrow or the next day.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Also click HERE for some more info, take that with you. It might help out.. I am around daily and respond when I can, just respond like you have been doing.....

Robert