rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 1989 Econoline 350 Jayco Motorhome will not down shift at

Customer Question

My 1989 Econoline 350 Jayco Motorhome will not down shift at 25 mph unless I de-accelerate
Category: RV
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Looks like you have done most of my suggestions already. Next on the list is to see if you have a detent cable attached to your throttle. This cable can be out of adjustment or stretched out. If all that is good, then you will need to check out the transmission further by dropping the pan again and checking the valve body.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where might I locate the detent cable
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

It's on the bottom of the throttle indeed the throttle cable.

Thanks