Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 1988 Itasca Sunflyer with a gas leak near the

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Itasca Sunflyer with a gas leak near the middle of the chassis between back tires.I think it supplies the Onan because it only runs for a minute then dies. the leak is only happening when the engine is running.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

That is possible it is the supply line for the onan if it does not run what can happen is the generator can suck air then shut down if you have a leak. I would try and trace that line from the generator to the tank., Many times they will use 1/4" rubber line and it will go from the generator to the top of the tank. The rubber lines can weather and then start to crack and split. IF you do not have access on the side of the tank the tank will have to drop down to get to the line. If it is the 1/4" line and you can find the leak then I would get a barb, cut the bad section out and then clamp the barb on the line. Sometimes you will find these on that line. It can be difficult to get to the top of the tank. In the shop it takes about 4 to 6 hours of labor and many times the longest part is draining the fuel into a drum and then putting it back in. So if you have a shop do this repair I might bring it in with the tank almost empty, it will cut down on some labor time.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert