peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have an onan 4.5BDGFB30502M that operates my bucket truck

Customer Question

I have an onan 4.5BDGFB30502M that operates my bucket truck hydraulics. The unit starts and runs but often times idles very rough and when a load is put on it almost stalls out. It smells like it is running ***** *****ke it's not getting the right mixture of air and gas. It sounds almost like it wants to stall out when you extend the bucket out. Where should I start?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done is to make sure there are no fuel leaks on it and to make sure there is no water or contaminants in the fuel causing this issue here.I have seen both of these as the cause for a fault like this here needing corrected to resolve this issue.If this has already been checked and found o.k.let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had all the fuel lines replaced on the truck and going up to the generator. How would I check for water in the gas? I'm pretty sure my fuel lines are good. I will look over them though.

If you can drain out some fuel from the bottom of the tank if there is any water in it the water will usually run out first and you can see it separated from the fuel if you drain some into a container.If you see any water or any other contamination in the fuel I would drain the tank and add new fuel.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to drop the tanks to do this......would a scyphin work?

I was informed on this model here that the fuel for the generator is pulled from the top of the tank so water usually won't be the cause here.It may still be contaminants or debris in the fuel though.You can try and siphon some fuel out into a fuel container and inspect it and see if there is anything mixing with the fuel or any debris.If anything is found then the tank needs drained and if you can do this with a siphon only make sure all fuel or very close to all fuel is removed.

If this is found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my issue still hasn't been resolved. If the water issue shouldn't be the cause due to the line not dropping to the bottom of the tank then what else could it be?

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last few days.

It is still possible this is debris in the fuel itself.If you can check the fuel for any debris this would be my next check here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the fuel filter replaced along with the fuel lines.......

This is a tough one for me to be able to answer here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4-5BGDFB 30502M is the spec # ***** the generator to start. I had a friend who is an excellent mechanic look at this tonight. He said there is a leak in the intake manifold not allowing gas to be pulled into one of the cylinders. It's only running on a single cylinder. So what I need is for someone to tell me what parts I will need to fix this and the part numbers because I've searched all over and can't seem to get anywhere. It also looks like it is a split manifold with some type of gasket or sealant in between the 2 pieces. Does this sound correct?