Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2006 Jayco Flight RV camper. went to take it out

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jayco Flight RV camper. went to take it out and the brakes arent working. everything works when I hook it up to a generator so went and bought a new battery. thought that would work since we havent used it in awhile. nope still doesn't work. any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you are trying to find here...........the brakes on your camper aren't working when you hook it up to the tow vehicle? That would not be affected by anything you can do by hooking it up to 120 VAC here. Or don't I have the correct picture of the problem? Please explain in more detail. All follow ups are included in our fee. I am making the phone chat option available for you as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it doesnt make sense but the way our trailor works is... the electrical braking system on the camper only works with the battery hooked to the camper and the tow vehicle. the electronic braking system in the truck only comes on when the generator is running, if hooked to the battery sytem, it doesnt come on. the electronic braking sytem wont work without the generator on. is this a converter problem?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Someone has wired this wrong............the brakes work (or are supposed to) ONLY off the power they receive from the brake controller in your truck. The only time the battery in the trailer comes into play is when the break away switch is activated and then they come on. This is for a case when the trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle. The break controller in your truck is activated when there is power to it from the truck battery. Some only work with the keyswitch on. IF it isn't that way, then someone needs to check the wiring and correct this.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

And you have to apply the brakes OR do it manually inside the truck..........that is the only way the brakes are activated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we bought this trailor from a dealer 5 years ago and this is the way it worked. we have never had a problem towing it before this. it has never been repaired or anything. has been a great rv. so... what do I need to check?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Start with finding out if the brake controller in the truck is putting out the proper voltage to the tow cord plug. IF that checks out then I would ohm out the tow cord on the brakes and see what that shows. That would take a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so. Easy to use. The bottom two lugs on the cord are the brakes and ground lead. You want to see about 2.2 ohms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already have one, so my husband is going to check both the controller in the truck and the tow cord. back with u in a minute
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do we check the one in the truck? its all wired. no openings. its a solid unit. the tow cord reads 0 but the lights on the camper comes on thru the tow cord and if the tow cord is hooked up and my husband connected to the genrator and the brakes start working
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You have to check the output of the break controller at the plug in the rear where the cord plugs in. Bottom two lugs. With th brakes on, it should read at least 5-6 volts or more depending on what the setting is. What is the make and model of the controller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking now
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is the pin pulled out on the breakaway switch? That will energize the brakes with the trailer battery and perhaps the battery is dead until you plug in the generator and supply power to the inverter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking now. looked at the box in the truck, all it says is OE harness. gives info like black 12 volts white ground etc. the breakaway switch is still in.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

No name on it? Most have the brand name someplace.......but, the real test is if there is good voltage at the plug with it energized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what plug? its a solid box. the only thing I noticed is the light on the box for the brakes isnt on. my husband asks.. if the converter is bad would that affect the braking system? none of the lights in the camper comes on when using the battery. has to be hooked to generator
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

On the back of the truck where the tow cord of the trailer plugs in............and the battery in the camper may be bad or the converter may be bad or fuses blown.........but, none of those things affect the brakes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new battery bought yesterday. fully charged with 22 volt reading. tow cord no reading but the lights work on the outside of the camper but inside lights will not, when unplug the cord the lights go out.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have to leave for a few hours, so I will opt out of this so another tech can offer something. You may have to have a mobile tech come over and give you some help with this.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. will wait for response. sorry I have u scratching your head. doesnt make sense that everything works with a generator but not with a new battery. and the brakes only work when hooked to a generator??????
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

As I said in the beginning..............something is wired wrong here. Don't respond or it locks me back into the question and nobody else can resond.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am curious as the solution on this............did you find out what happened here?