Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2004 Jayco Greyhawk 25 ft motor home. i replaced

Customer Question

i have a 2004 Jayco Greyhawk 25 ft motor home. i replaced the 12 volt battery because the monitor panel and the interior lights were not working. still not working. i have 120 power but nothing that requires 12 volt is working. the battery sparked when master switch was on so i know there is power between the two. Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Sounds like the solenoid for the disconnect switch is at fault, when you hit the battery disconnect switch it should allow power inside, if you have good voltage at the battery will need to find the solenoid, sometimes when you hit the switch you can hear the solenoid click, if you can not locate it by sound follow the cables to the solenoid, one cable will go directly to it. Once you find the solenoid you will see two LARGE posts, get an insulated wire and jump the LARGE posts and see if power comes on. I want to say on some of the Jayco's the solenoid could be under the bed but do not remember what models. IF you have NO voltage at the solenoid, look for a tripped breaker between the batteries and solenoid. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can, follow ups are included.... Robert

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I would double check the connections on the battery to be sure the polarity is correct and then check the converter. It may be bad and shorting out the 12 VDC system. I believe on that model it would be under the bed. IF everything was off when you hooked up the battery you should have no spark or just a brief faint one. It might also be on or more of the shortstop breakers tripped. Use a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter to test for power and follow it along. The shortstop breakers are usually near the battery. It would be helpful if you had the wiring diagrams for this and if you contract Jayco Customer Service and give them the last 8 of your VIN number they can forward them to you.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Oops.............I didn't see Robert had posted on this already. I guess we were both working on it at the same time.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Check the solenoid and get back to me if needed. Good chance it is at fault if you have good DC voltage at the battery and not inside the RV.... Robert