Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Have a 1999 holiday rambler imperial with a 350 cummins. The

Customer Question

have a 1999 holiday rambler imperial with a 350 cummins. The coach sat for six years. I had a yellow warning light that comes on and shuts the engine off. there are no codes. sprayed starting fluid and it started. changed the fuel filters and went a couple hundred miles. the light came back on and it shut down. when I made it to the side of the road the grooves caused it to bounce and the light went off. the coach started up and ran the 500 miles home.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

Sounds like you have a bad connection point if the light went out when you went over the grooves. IF the unit sat for 6 years I would have the batteries load tested to start if you did not test them. Make sure the cable ends are secure and the main ground to the frame is clean and tight. Inspect the cables from the battery to the starter and make sure you do not have a cable resting on the frame or any screws catching the cable, have seen that before on other Monaco's.

I would also check the chassis fuse box look for any loose corroded wires, also if it sat look for any signs of rodents as they can chew wires and cause all kinds of problems. Sometimes they will also use a male and female plug that plugs together for the 12 volt wiring, if you see any I would make sure they are not loose or corroded.

I might also replace the fuel filters again on this just to be sure they did not get plugged up from sitting..... Hope this helps some.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the unit cranks over fine. it just wont fire. I suspect the fuel filters or at least some fuel problem. I thought you might no something different specific to a holiday rambler. it is not a Monaco. there were only 2 filters is there a possible third somewhere hidden?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Should only have two filters on this... Monaco and Holiday Rambler used the same chassis's with the same engines.

IF the unit sat then it could very well be the fuel, it should have been drained prior to starting, if it was not drained then I would try another set of filters and see what happens.

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own a 1997 Monaco executive also. unless holiday used monaco's chasis they are not the same. Monaco built their own chasis at their own factory. I think the holiday is freightliner. anyway I was looking for someone that had the same problem and might know for sure what to do to remedy. everything you said we already knew and tried. thanks but I just don't think it was worth buying.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I can put your question back up for other experts, My goal is for you to be satisfied. The 97 and 99 are different, the 97 should be mechanical and then in 98 they want to an electronic engine, if it is a ISC you should be able to turn the key and heat the fuel lift pump run and then shut off. The older ones like the 97 used a fuel cut off solenoid, I would not think the 99 would have that. In any event maybe another expert can assist you, If you would like a refund please let me know. Robert

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I agree with Robert here.............and really can't add anything more. Everything he mentioned is spot on!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under the circumstances I really would like not to pay for the answers. I will let you guys know what it ends up being