Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Have a 2000 Coachman with a Ford chassis, It has 46,000 mi

Customer Question

Have a 2000 Coachman with a Ford chassis, It has 46,000 mi on engine. I was going up a slight incline, and lost power, coach kept slowing down, I pushed the gas pedal more and the RPM went up but couldn't get coach to move. Checked fluids, transmission looked new, didn't smell burned. Tried to go agin, and had power, was able to get coach up to speed, short time later kept having the same problem. Pulled over for about a half hour, tried again, and had power, haven't been able to duplicate problem? any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure this isn't a problem with the fuel system on the engine? That would be the first place to check. Fuel filter or fuel rail pressure. Could be in the transmission.........and hard to tell from fluid color. Dropping the pan and checking the filter for partial plugging would be a good start on that end. Intermittent issues are the hardest to find sometimes. Please get back to me once you have checked those items and we can dig deeper if needed. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first started to lose power, I pressed down on the gas pedal, the RPM would go as high as I wanted, but the coach wouldn't move any faster. When I pulled over I left the motor running, it ran fine with no problems. Could the powertrain control modular have anything to do with this problem?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It could be any number of things, but it does sound like a transmission issue and draining the pan and inspecting the filter might give you some clues. It might be a bad disk...........a band adjuster might have broken. With it being intermittent, it is hard to tell. What is the number off the transmission or model number for that unit? Get back to me with this info and I can ask a trans expert who works next to my shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the pan pulled, replaced filter fluids, mechanic said all looked great, like new. Since the first time I had lose of power no problems at all. Drove cross country NC to WA, 5 miles before I pulled into my destination, same thing, loss of power couldn't get the RV to go faster the 30 mph, push on pedal, good RPM's, same conditions, were rain and driving for about hour and a half to 2 hours when problem started. then it went away again. and works fine
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That is a head scratcher for sure! I have no idea where to have you look, so I will open this back up to other techs who might have experienced this on one of their rigs..............Let me know what it turns out to be! Thanks!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Discussed this with some other mechanic and they tend to think it has something to do with the pump pressure in the transmission which is electronically controlled. Not sure how you test that, but I have another transmission expert to talk to tomorrow.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

My transmission mechanic wanted to know which transmission you have here..........then I can offer some possible solutions.