Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I am trying to replace my drivers side mirror on a 99 Itasca

Customer Question

I am trying to replace my drivers side mirror on a 99 Itasca Suncruiser but can't find any access to the mounting nuts. How do I get the old mirror off?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Look for some plastic cap covers that you can pry off, under the covers should be the mounting bolts, sometimes they will be slotted and you have to line the bolt up with the slot to remove it. IF you are still having problems please send me a picture that should help..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attatching a pic of the outside. Looks more like a carriage bolt head. On the inside the access is blocked by wood. I have looked from the bottom as well as the front access panel but all is sealed off.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Ugh... Yes that will have nuts on the inside, can you send me another picture of the entire side in the front?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see attached
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me an outside picture of the base and front end... Sorry want to see what is in that area.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Also what chassis is this? Just trying to figure out if there is going to be an easy way on this.... Robert

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freightliner chasis. Getting pretty dark. Can't send more pics until tomorrow and this one may not be of any use. I have already tried to access from the front panel you see in the pic but all sealed off with sheetmetal/firewall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sending pdf...look at pg. 39
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Yes, I was looking at that before I responded to your question. There has to be nuts on the other side. I have seen some that you have to use a long extension with a wobble or 45 socket adapter and then go through the dash , normally they do not put any paneling there, I would get a light and see if you can see it from that point. This is going to be difficult if that is the only access. The easy part will be getting the nuts off, the hard part would be getting them started, I would use some electrical tape around the nut and socket to hold it in place to get it started if it is a long reach..... I would not think that they would have a panel over the inside nuts.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pic 3 is a shot from the inside out and as you may be able to tell it is a solid panel right where the nuts would be. It's about 3/4 inch thick and doesn't appear to come out without removing the entire dash.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I would cut the panel right where that brace is, looks like a screw might be going to that panel as well. Then I when putting back the panel where the cut is I would seal it off, do not know how else you are going to get to the backside. They do not think very well when they install the dash area as the chassis is already built..... Robert