Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My 2003 coachmen steps won't retract....just cycle back and

Customer Question

Customer: my 2003 coachmen steps won't retract....just cycle back and forth barely
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: out of the blue, the steps cycled back and forth a few times and then just hung there neither in up or down. Looks like the motor has some stripped gears. Magnet is fine. 2002 coachmen aurora
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: just tell me what I don't know LOL
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

This could be an issue with the control box or motor. I would get a 12 volt battery and go to the motor and jump it direct with some jumper wires and see if the steps move, if they move in and out smoothly then it is an issue with the control box, IF the motor acts the same way then it is an issue with the motor and will need to be replaced. You also want to verify your battery voltage and check all your connections at the control box, make sure nothing is loose and the main ground is clean.... Hope this helps.... Robert