Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Dometic fridge model RM2555 not working on gas.the fridge

Customer Question

dometic fridge model RM2555 not working on gas.the fridge selects gas operation and you hear the solenoid click,gas is flowing but igniter not sparking.can you advise
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Sounds like you could have a bad igniter or circuit board, the circuit board will send a signal to the gas valve and igniter at the same time so the gas solenoid should click the same time it sparks. I would check the igniter make sure it is about 1/8 over the burner tube and follow that wire back to the board and make sure the connection is good. I might try another igniter first before replacing the board..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked all fittings leads clearences etc. could it be the spark generator,and how do u test including main board as the fridge is only 2 year old and has had little use
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

You are really limited testing the board, if it has voltage then it should be working properly, the wire going from the board to the spark generator should have voltage when you select gas or at the same time as when the gas valve clicks, if it has voltage I suspect the generator is bad, if it does not have voltage it sounds like the board. IF it is undetermined I would replace the generator first due to cost, then the board if needed...

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try and test board and sparker with ohm meter as suggested.what should I have the ohm meter set on and what reading should I get
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

You can check the wire from the board to the generator it should be 0.00 ohms if the wire is good and you want to make sure the wire has voltage when you select gas, so the same time the gas valve opens that wire should have voltage on it. If not it could be a bad board because the gas valve is opening up so it is trying to go to gas but without the spark.... When you set your meter to ohms touch the leads together, you should have the same reading when you ohm the wire out, hope this make sense.... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

DO not hold that wire at all when it is trying to spark, it can give you a jolt....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will try it,and get back to you
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I am around daily and respond when I can..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not seem to have any power coming from spark iginiter.i would presume the main board is ok as it works on 240v and 12v.the spark iginiteris connected to a relay ,not sure how to test main board.could you advise further
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I do not have any info on how to test the board, some RV shops might have a board tester to see if it is good. I can not recall on that model if there is a tester. My feelings are if the gas valve clicks and it does not spark then the board is not sending a signal to the igniter, some models do use a relay and that also could be at fault as well. IF I can find any info out on testing that board or relay I will pass that along.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

SO I was looking at the wiring diagram and it looks like to me you have a reigniter, it looks like it uses the same wire as the solenoid for the gas, so you should have voltage going into the igniter. IF you have voltage going in and nothing coming out to the igniter then it is at fault. Feel pretty confident it is the issue since it shares the same power wire as the solenoid. Click HERE and see page 18, you can trace the power from the board to the igniter.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try again and see. will let you know
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Sounds good, I forgot that some models use that re-igntier and it very well could be the problem, you can see where the power comes from the board on the diagram...

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried new igniter ,still have the same problem.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

IF you look at the print did you have voltage going to the igniter when you try and run it on LP, IF you look at the print it appears to me that power comes into the igniter on wire #4 and then out on wire #8 to the electrode. Check your grounds as well per the print, not sure what else this is going to be but the circuit board. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know.... Robert