Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 20 ft awning on a 2014 rockwood windjammer. Problem

Customer Question

I have a 20 ft awning on a 2014 rockwood windjammer. Problem is last October it would not roll in. Motor gone. Dealer replaced . Now it will not roll in if you leave it rolled out more than 24 hours. You need 2 people twisting on the tube to start it rolling in. It is acting the same as last year and I know it going to have the same results PLEASE HELP
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

What I would do on this is disconnect the motor wires and apply DC voltage direct with a 12 volt source and jumper wires and see how the motor runs, this will eliminate low voltage or a problem with the switch. IF the awning behaves the same way I would next look and see how the fabric is on the roller tube. Make sure you have equal distance from where the fabric stops on the tube to the end cap on each side, if the awning fabric was off center then the it might not work correctly. IF that looks good then it sounds to me the motor is at fault on this..... Hope this helps some.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer will sell me a motor no warranty am I going to buy a motor every year?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry and trying my best to help you. The first step would be to jump power direct to see if the problem is at the awning or with the wiring. Then I would verify the fabric is centered. What I also might try just to be sure is look up on the RV where the rail is located that holds the fabric. You should see some screws going through the rail into the fabric, remove them and try to run the awning. This may help if the fabric is not rolling up correctly. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert