Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2001 Monaco Dynasty. Generator died while dry camping (heard

Customer Question

2001 Monaco Dynasty. Generator died while dry camping (heard it shut off). Now we can't start the generator or coach (doesn't crank). Chassis battery looks dead (8.7V)... House batteries are good (12.6V). Trying to find out what caused this to happen and how we can fix it.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You sure can't start the genset with only 8.7 volts. Do you only have one chassis battery? These are usually set up to have at least four 6 VDC batteries in a series/parallel connection. Or at the least two larger 12 VDC batteries in parallel. Are you plugged into shore power or do you have that capability? And I will make the phone chat option available for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have 4 6V golf cart batteries for the house, and a single chassis battery. House batteries looked good, chassis battery is what I'm concerned about. We're dry camping right now with no option for shore power, and have had the generator running during the day. My thought was that would at least maintain the charge on the chassis battery. I tried to start the engine by shunting the house batteries to the starting batteries to no avail. The shunt did allow me to start the generator back up, but I'm concerned as to why the generator shut off in the first place, and why the voltage on the chassis battery is so low (it was purchased November of last year).
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I read that wrong..............happens when you start here at 5:00 a.m. Even new batteries fail on a regular basis. That battery should be load tested to see if it has a cell that is shorting out. That would draw down the voltage and cause it to be rendered pretty much useless. Don't you have an "Aux Start" button on there for allowing the coach batteries to aid in starting? That is pretty common on most all Class A coaches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries. And right, that's what I meant by shunting the house batteries to the chassis batteries. That was able to start the generator back up, but wasn't enough to start the coach itself.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Then there is another issue with the coach starting............those batteries should have been more than enough to start the coach. Was the genset running when you tried this? That would have added some extra amps to them. Have you had any trouble with the inverter/charger lately?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else was running when I attempted it. And the generator also just went out again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No issues with the inverter that I'm aware of, we've mostly been hooked up to shore power until this last week though.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I think you will have to call in a mobile tech to come out to your location and give you a hand with this. Too many potential issues on this which makes using this format difficult.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you change your mind about the phone chat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured I'd see how the text format went before attempting the phone chat. I'll contact a mobile tech, thank you.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Good idea............but, please let me know how this turns out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let it sit for the night and the next morning, I was able to get the coach running w/ the house batteries, and that let me charge the starting battery enough so everything's working as it should... now I just need to figure out what's draining the starting battery to begin with... we'll see. How do we close out this question?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It will close out when you give me a rating for my help on this question. You can still come back to it again, if needed later if you Bookmark it. Thanks for letting me know.......and hit the disconnect switch so the chassis battery can't drain. Be safe!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since we weren't able to resolve the issue in this format (last response was to call a mobile mechanic), is there another way to close it out?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You can just leave it go........