Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My Electrolux RM4233 works on gas but not DC or mains.

Customer Question

my Electrolux RM4233 works on gas but not DC or mains.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked at the rear of the fridge to be sure that power is available there? Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? Get back to me with this and I can assist you further.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This can be an issue in the selector switch OR the heating elements as long as there is adequate power to both the DC feed and the mains. I am adding a link for this manual in case you don't have one. IF you have a small digital multimeter we can do some testing and sort this out. It would seem odd that both heating elements would go bad at the same time, but it is possible. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. http://file:///C:/Users/RANDALL%20GIBBONS/Downloads/266401en.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what that last link was............ see the following one and choose English. http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/MASTERDometic.nsf?Opendatabase

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randall,
I have rear covers off, and slipped it forward a couple of inchs to read mains (240VAC) on the top of unit near mains switch. Okay.
12V DC appears disconnected - not a big issue.
Ran on mains for a couple of hours; the back heat exchanges getting hot but no cooling in the refrig!
Next step?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure that it still works on LP (gas) mode and cools well? When the back coils are hot and the fridge isn't cooling, it usually indicates that the cooling unit has a blockage. IF that is the case, it won't cool on any mode as that cooling unit gets "heat" from 3 sources, but uses the same unit and parts. Either that, or the heating element is still allowing it to get warm, but just not hot enough to do a good job cooling. IF that is the case, then the heating element is usually bad and needs to be replaced. Double check the unit on LP mode just to be sure about that and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The full story: Away last week in the Van, first time in 6 months.
(1) cooled on gas only; not fantastic but enough to create frost on the element (a mains isolation switch was off- silly me!)
(2) back home and I contacted you. Realized the main isolation switch issue, and that DC was disconnected.
(3) with mains or gas operation now, there is heat generation at the back but no cooling; at home where I am doing this the van is on a slight slope.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The fridge has to be level......or not out of level more than 3 degrees. Not much! Turn it off and let it sit for a few hours and level it up before you turn it back on......hopefully, it didn't damage the cooling unit. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did that solve the problem? If not, we can look deeper into the controls or testing the cooling unit.