Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I live at 6100 feet in elevation, my furnace lights and

Customer Question

I live at 6100 feet in elevation, my furnace lights and works as supposed to. I went camping at 10,500 feet in elevation and the furnace didn' t work. The blower turned on but no ignition. The tech where I bought this unit said the regulator needed changed to a high attitude on but if I went below where I live it wouldn't work and would be dangerous. I called the furnace manufacture and they said I needed a D-rated burner for this altitude as the one in my camper was rated to 4500 feet. Who is blowing smoke? My wife and I froze this past weekend on our first camping trip in this trailer. It is 3 years old.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model number of your furnace? Get back to me with this info and I can help you sort this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surburban model NT20SQ.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I have never heard of any "D rated burner" but, then I live at 2,500 ft. I do know that you need to make a regulator adjustment at that elevation. There would be too much LP for the available air at 10,500 ft. So you have to lean down the regulator a few turns. Even then, you should have a full tank of fuel. You might consider getting a catyalic heater for that when you are at high altitudes as they work differently. Just a thought. Another thing I would do here is to change out the ignition module to an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far more reliable than the OEM boards. Those have a high failure rate. That may be part of the problem here. Hope that proves helpful. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.