Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My Atwood gc6aa-9e 6 gallon water ignites to heat water, yet

Customer Question

hello, my Atwood gc6aa-9e 6 gallon water ignites to heat water, yet after about 5 seconds it turns off. The water heater light inside RV remains on instead of turning off when the unit is operating properly. Any idea what the issue could be?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That is usually caused by one of two things.........either the LP pressure at the tank regulator is too low and needs to be adjusted (if you have an adjustable model) OR the control board is not recognizing that ignition has happened and turns the gas valve off. That is called a flame sense failure and a new control board is the solution. Those are kind of expensive, so you need to eliminat the other causes first. It can be several other things, but those would be pretty rare. Most shops have a manometer for adjusting the LP pressure for you if you take the regulator into them. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a link to the Atwood Water Heater Manual for you. Print out a copy or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it again any time. Very helpful information in there! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you got this resolved or do we need to do more digging here?