Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

How do I remove the gear assembly from the kitchen slide out

Customer Question

How do I remove the gear assembly from the kitchen slide out on my 2007 carriage cameo 5th wheel. The final drive gear has two broken teeth
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.........do you have the make of your slide hardware? The name may be on the switch or keypad. Or attach a photo or two to your post so I can see the area in question and I can direct you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This is probably hardware made by Power Gear or LCI (Lippert) and once I know whose you have I can grab a manual for you and direct you further. Broken teeth on a gear is very rare and you will need to address what causes this as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in answering. I do not know the manufacturer name, but the part is now available from Al-Ko through rbwstore.com and is part # ***** which is the repair kit for the main room and galley slide out on all Carriage 5th wheels from 2002. This contains the final (small) gear that I need, which was stripped when the "out" button was pushed and held while the slide was already out.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

So that would make it an RBW slide unit.....and they have been out of business for some time now. I do know that some parts can be purchased from Al-Ko as they bought them out later. Can you attach a photo of the gear area? I don't know if I can get a copy of an exploded view for you on this or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back under there with a camera which I can do in the next couple of hours. How do I send that to you?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Attach it to your post.........I will be able to see it that way. No hurry. I will keep an eye out for it. In the meantime, I will look and see what I can find on those old RBW units.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a link to an RBW slide diagram for Carriage units. See if this is what you have. http://carriage-lifestyle-owners.lifestyle-owners.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/RBW-Slideout-Installation-Service-Guide-for-Carriage.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attaching four pictures I just took. Two, show the damaged gear and the "star" shaft, and the other two are slightly different views of the motor attached to the "gear housing". Note that the cross tube does not slide over the "star" shaft as the diagram you sent me shows; but rather slides over another shaft attached to a secondary gear with a pin and cotter pin as on the follower rail. The link you sent is very similar to what I have, except for that "star" shaft connection. Hope these help. I am standing by.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Can you get the shaft loose on the other end that is shown on the first photo? It looks like it is welded in. I have seen this in other applications where that has to be cut out in order to remove the motor assy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor removes by removing three bolts (I have already replaced the motor once when two of the plastic "tits" on the motor broke). Two of these bolts are shown in the third picture (Motor & Gears) and the third is behind the metal plate by the manual over ride shaft. The metal plate appears to be held on by just Phillips head screws and that appears to cover whatever is holding the two intermediate gears.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I can't say without seeing it "up close" and I have never had to replace that particular one. I will go ahead and open this up again so another tech can offer something for you. There is a tech who knows this system, but I haven't seen him post for some time. He owns "RV Place" in Southern California and you might take a look at his website or call him directly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find a web site for "RV Place"
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry......My RV Parts Place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I see different pdf files from RBW. My motor is installed backwards from the file you sent me. I will try to find "my rv parts place. Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I tried that earlier, but I am working on a tablet and in a small format. I don't have that capability at home.........

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Was he able to give you some help with the diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nobody ever contacted me. I called the "My RV Parts Place" three times, left messages, no return calls. I was able to get the exploded diagrams directly from Al-Ko.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I think he is battling some kind of health issue and has been gone a lot. Sorry about that, but glad AL-Ko was able to give you some diagrams.