Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2010 keystone raptor 5th wheel. On generator power

Customer Question

2010 keystone raptor 5th wheel. On generator power everything works! On shore power only bedroom ac and front of trailer outlets work. The main ac doesn't work nor does the fridge's AC side work and all of the outlets from towards the back of the trailer. I Checked the breakers. All good there. I checked the automatic transfer switch for loose wires. They looked good. The problem isn't the campground because it has had the problem for 3 weeks at many sites. Maybe my cable is bad? Or the transfer switch.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Might be the transfer switch is bad..............unless you are using a 30 amp adapter on your shore cord. Then you lose about half of the coach power. Many people don't know that. You can test the transfer switch with a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in that. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multi meter. I'm plugged in straight 50 amp
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Check for power on both sides of the shore cord INTO the transfer switch with your meter once you get the cover off. The hot legs are black and red. You use the white leg for the other lead on your meter. IF you have good voltage IN then do the OUT side and see if the problem is there. This will tell you if the problem is the cord or the ATS. Some you can buy parts for and some not, depending on who made it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the ATS one side was great and on the other leg there was no power in or out. I'm thinking it must be the cable or the wiring between the plug on the trailer and the automatic transfer switch.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It may be in the plug itself........but, check to be sure that the source isn't the issue. IF the cord doesn't go clear up to the ATS, then check that connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the cable with my meter. It tested good but obviously that is without a load. I don't see a junction box between the shore plug on the trailer and the ATS???
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Does the shore cord go all the way to the ATS? Most do. And you are correct that it may fail under load even though it shows good continuity.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Rare that it would be in the cord.....more likely the plug.