Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Generator wont start, shows error code 36 onan 7500 quiet

Customer Question

generator wont start, shows error code 36
onan 7500 quiet diesel
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That is a fault code that shows the unit shut down without a command from you. Most of the time that involves a lack of fuel. It can be that the fuel level is too low or a problem with the delivery system. I am enclosing a link to the Service Manual for this model in case you don't have one. See the other things to check for this error. Print out a copy so you have it. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee. https://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0161C.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the manual. Still without a corrective response still does not operate.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It can also be some kind of mechanical failure that caused it to shut down. Low fuel is just the most common. IF you want to do some work on this yourself, you need to take the fuel line loose at the unit and see if the fuel pump is actually putting out fuel. Have something to pump it into. IF you don't see fuel, then it might be low in the tank, or some kind of obstruction in the line or pickup. Keep in mind that this won't pick up fuel once the tank gets below about 1/3 most models to keep it from stranding you. Those would be the first steps to try. Let me know what you find.