Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have a trailer with a dometic refrigerator. We pluged it

Customer Question

we have a trailer with a dometic refrigerator. We pluged it into the power source and the refrigerator worked, but when we tried to start the gas it wouldn't start. a fuse was blown so I replaced the fuse and it still wouldn't work.Thought maybe it was the battery so replaced it but to no avail. I must have shorted something out. now there is a direct short.
It throw fire when I try to replace the fuse. With out the fuse it won"t run on 115 volts.
What could I have done to cause a direct short. I have a delema. I'm a long way from a service center. What do you think I could have shorted out
Thanks for your help
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

So is this the fuse on the board that is blowing?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 5th one to the right.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

On the actual fridge is a circuit board, it will have two fuses on it, the circuit board is located under the outside access panel. It sounds like you are talking about the fuse inside the RV? This might take some going back and forth, follow ups are included....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse panel I am talking about is the one in the trailer next to the breaker panel.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK, that is what I thought..... OK you could have a short on that wire to the fridge from the fuse panel. What you can do is run power and ground wires to the fridge from the battery and see if it will run. On the circuit board for the fridge are two fuses for protection. IF the fuse blows on the circuit board when you hook 12 volts direct then the issue is with the fridge possible the circuit board. IF the fridge runs then the wire from the fuse panel to the fridge is at fault. Click HERE and see page 7 it will show you the terminal black and the "power module cover".....

Robert