Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2012 sunseeker 32'. i just replaced the 2 batteries

Customer Question

i have a 2012 sunseeker 32'. i just replaced the 2 batteries in the coach and when i plugged the rv coach in the outlet, the batteries got drained and there is no power to the ac, fridge, and most of the cab is without power. However, when plugged in and i turn the car on, all power is up. Please advise.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Sounds like a tripped breaker or power converter issue. When you plug into power the power converter should take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery, of your batteries are hooked up correctly it should be charging. Sometimes on the cable from the converter to the battery they will use an auto breaker, below is a picture, most have a small tab that pops out on them when they trip. Normally they are 18" from the battery and can be on the frame or in a battery control box outside. the other issue is the converter, the converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone style will have two fuses on it and can be under the stove, fridge, bed etc..... IF you know the make and model of the converter I might be able to assist you more..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you show me how the batteries should be hooked up?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I can show you a basic print, are they 6 volt or 12 volt batteries?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volt
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

This would apply to the main cables... I might also be able to get another print but need the model of the sunseeker....

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

sorry that picture is really small, the main negative will go to one battery, the main positive will go to the other then you use a jumper from pos-pos and neg to neg to tie the batteries together. IF you can get me the model of the Sunseeker I might be able to get a better print... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model number SSC3170DSF
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

I just checked and do not have anything for 2012....... On the batteries you will have a main ground and main positive the main positive will go to one battery and the main negative to the other battery. Jumpers then tie the batteries together, Pos-Pos and Neg-Neg....... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we are good on the connections, and we also checked the auto breaker and pushed the button, but still nothing.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Have you verified the battery voltage with a volt meter? The only reason I mention this is because it is possible to be missing all the DC power but the batteries have good voltage..... Just want to make sure I am giving you the proper direction on this.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the one of the batteries was recharged and the other was new. when installed, all worked well but within 2 days, they died with the power cord plugged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
earlier I started the rv and everything came on and all seems to be running currently. I left the lights on to see if they stay on
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

This sounds like the converter, however you should never, ever replace a good battery with a used battery it can shorten the life of a new battery....

Need to find the converter and see if it has a blown fuse, if it is a standalone style then you could have blown a fuse on it when you changed the battery. IF you know the make and model of the converter please let me know.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WFCO 55AMP POWER CONVERTER model WF-9855 INPUT 105-130VAC 950W OUTPUT 13.6VDC 55AMP
BOTH FUSEWS LOOK OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BUT IN THE PAST WHEN THE BATTERIES NEED TO BE REPLACED, THE POWER STILL WORKED WHILE PLUGED IN OR WITH THE GENERATOR ON. NOW THE BETTERIES ARE NOT CHARGIN WITH NEITHER THE GENERATOR OR THE POWER PLUG IN.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Click HERE and follow the troubleshooting for the converter, I suspect it is going to be bad, if it checks out good please let me know..... Robert

The converter will be directly responsible for charging the battery, one cable goes right to the batteries, and sometimes that is when you would find that breaker....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. IWILL TAKE IN SHOP.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

That might be best, ***** ***** check a few things and it might not be a simple repair. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert