Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I'm trying to replace the vinyl on my Dometic full cover

Customer Question

I'm trying to replace the vinyl on my Dometic full cover slide topper model 86196 I've extended the slide out remove the cover unroll the roller and pinned the spring. How do I remove the end cap so that I can remove the topper
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not receive the email for my question can you please resend
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you take out the screws yet that hold the cloth into the rail?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Those need to come out so the whole assy can slide off............and you will need another pair of hands to assist here unless this is a very short awning. The ends have a small screw that holds them on. See the attached link I have provided for you. Print those out. Once you have the hardware loose, you can slide it to one side and then the other to get it out of the mounting brackets. Then the whole awning can slide forward or back to remove from the rail. IF you have a gutter extension you may need to remove that first. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. http://www.americanrvcompany.com/assets/images/Dometic/Awnings/SlideTopper/86196_installation.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Here is a video link for some extra instruction.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXgaoRNkYg

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I side the whole unit off the coach so as not to take any chance of scratching the room paint. As you can see, several ways to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Randall - The problem I'm having is that the end caps (see photo) are preventing me from sliding out the fabric. I have the roller pinned so there is no tension on it. Do I need to remove the whole unit or is there a way to remove the end caps? Thanks.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't recall ever seeing one like that. What is the model number off the roller? Get that to me and I can call Dometic and get some answer for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the attached pic with all of the model info.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Good job........I will get back to you shortly with some info.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to take so long.........I actually posted this by mistake into another question! Good thing she got back to me about it........

I talked to Dometic tech service and those come apart just like the patio awnings. Both end caps are part of the spring assy. You have to take the rivets out and slide them both out. Clean up the parts and tube and install the new cloth and then rivet the spring assys back in. The prewind on the springs is 13 once you remove the tension........which you have to do.

Carefully! Use some vicegrips and do it a wind at a time. Get back to me if you need more.