Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

The brakes failed in the mountains (going down, of course)

Customer Question

The brakes failed in the mountains (going down, of course) on my 1994 Damon Intruder built on a Ford F-Super Duty Class A MH chassis. Prior to their failure, I suspected something wrong and pulled off the road (lucky me). There was smoke or steam coming from under the front end somewhere. It had no noticeable smell. I'll be contacting someone for service and would like to give them as much information as possible. The pedal is soft all the way to the floor -- does that suggest a loss of fluid in the system? If so, where can I look to identify the leak?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes.............as to the fluid loss. Look on the backside of each wheel for signs of fluid and also up front around the master cylinder which will be under the hood on the driver's side. It might be a failure of the vacuum assist, but usually the brakes still work when that happens. Glad you weren't hurt of killed! Quick thinking makes a lot of difference! Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.