Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Our dometic 3551 refer keeps shutting off by itself after a

Customer Question

Our dometic 3551 refer keeps shutting off by itself after a few or several hours of AC operation
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure this isn't an RM2551 model? And I don't know when Robert may be coming on site today.........would you like to wait for him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry 2551
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are any of the other AC uses in the coach affected when this happens? Does it work fine when it is "on" otherwise?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will be out all day and Robert will be on here and can take over so I will opt out of this............I am enclosing the link to the Dometic Service Manual for you. Print out a copy or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it again later. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else seems to be fine
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What I would try to do to start is plug the fridge into a different outlet, if you have to use an extension cord going into another outlet, want to be sure the supply is not the issue. The fridge really runs on 12 volt power, so if the fridge is turning OFF I would go to the back of the fridge and check the DC voltage. You will see a main terminal block, it is on page on the service manual that Randall sent, if the voltage is low or missing then it is the problem. IF the voltage is good at the main terminal block unplug the cord for the AC power and then remove the cover on the circuit board and make sure the fuses are not loose in the holder, have seen that before. IF you have power at the fuse and the fridge is not turning on you could have a bad lower circuit board. Some models will also have a thermal fuse that will shut the fridge down as well, the thermofuse if you have one will be on the round flue canister, it will be a small disc with a tiny button, want to make sure that it is not tripped as well, the manual shows it on some models on the wiring diagram. My feelings are if the fridge is turning off completly it could be a DC supply issue or bad circuit board...... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert