Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Having owned several rv units I am well aware of the roof

Customer Question

Having owned several rv units I am well aware of the roof membranes not being fully waterproof. Do you know if Layton use this membrane on the roof of there 40' destination models.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know, they do......and so far as them not being fully waterproof, that depends on how well the owner takes care of them. Sealing has come a long way in the last few years. Dicor has some great sealing products that last well and don't crack like the old ones. Even with fiberglass, you have to keep the sealing up. Annual inspections and cleaning are a must no matter what they are made of. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking of applying a Epdm 2 part over the factory roof immediately upon purchase. As insurance so to speak. Any comments?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't think that is necessary........if properly cared for that roof will last over 10 years as is........IF cleaned and treated every year. Thetford Roof wash and treatment is what we use in my shop and it works very well. Dicor Lap Sealant is the product of choice for sealing.