Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a generator that will run very well 30 to 60 minutes.

Customer Question

I have a generator that will run very well for about 30 to 60 minutes. Then it cuts out. This just started after a week trip where itt also ran very well We have replaced filter, spark plug, replaced oil and have run several tanks of gas. The RV has a half a tank of gas. The RV is a 1990 Holiday Rambler. The gen iis a 6.5 KW 54.2 amps 60 hz 12 vt. Can you help.
Jim Bass
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What I would do is get an external can of fuel and stick the supply line into the fuel and see if the generator stays running, if so then I suspect the line from the generator to the tank might be compromised. Sometimes the lines can start to crack with age and when they do this you will start to suck air into the line and can shut the generator down. Normally you will find rubber fuel line but on some units they will use a steel line that transitions to the rubber line, make sure any clamps you see on that line are tight as well. That is what I would try to do to isolate the tank or see if the generator is at fault.... Hope this helps some.... Robert