Ron, RV Mechanic
Experience:  32 years Master Tech ASE certified.
7276279

Need help removing the stsrter switch on a holiday rambler

Customer Question

need help removing the stsrter switch on a holiday rambler rv aluma
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having problems keeping the the battery charged another the rv has run a while when turning off the rv, the starter just click as if there is not enough power to restart the engine , it just want turn over. I have put on a new starter, tranformer, voltage regulator and new tuneup and now there is no power at all, can you help please, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to remove the ring you need to place the key in the lock cylinder and turn the key either to the on position and or the accessory position and then take a paper clip and push it in the small hole in the lock which will release the lock cylinder, once the lock cylinder is removed then the ring will unscrew.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, did you get my added question, it was I am removing the switch because my battery is run
ning down, I have purchased a new starter, transformer,voltage regulator, tuneup with the wires and plugs and a silonoled . the rv would run but when turning the key off and try starting the rv again its make a clicking sound tryinr to turn the starter over at this point the battery has ran down and the battery is new, HEIP ME PLEASE thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the battery has gone dead it can cause the solenoid to click, you are going to need to start first with making sure the charging system is charging the battery and if so then you are going to need to perform a draw test .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to call at this time, I can open the question back up for you in hopes another expert can call if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a draw test
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

A battery draw test requires installing an amp meter in line with the negative battery cable to monitor the voltage while pulling one fuse at a time to eliminate the draw. Before you perform the draw test you need to make sure the alternator is charging properly . See the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the steps to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Battery%20draw%20Sept%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, is there anything that can be done if the ingition switch is ok, for some reason all the power on the rv is out
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

When you say all the power i out does that include the headlights and power to the fuse box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, my phone number is(###) ###-####can we talk in the morning about 10am eastern standard time? Or type one another so that may get an better understanding for as I know the headlights came on but the inside light stay out and do I need to get the other batteriers cheked out?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to the house lights then yes, they are powered separate from the engine battery .