Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a '95 Vectra 35RQ in very nice condition. It was

Customer Question

I have a '95 Vectra 35RQ in very nice condition. It was getting hard to start so I replaced the mechanical lift pump on the engine.
1. Is there an electric pump in addition to the one one the engine?
2. I replaced the fuel filters at the same time. Opening ("cracking" or loosening) the lines at the injectors has not helped bleed the air out.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Ray Munsch ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

Have you checked the fuel cut off solenoid, should be mounted on the side of the engine, it will have a plunger with a rubber boot, below is a picture, try pulling up on that plunger while someone tries to crank over the engine and see if it starts. When you turn the key you should see the plunger move and then when you crank it should stay up.... IF the engine starts holding the plunger up I would replace the solenoid.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used air pressure in the tank to get fuel through the new filter and air/water separator's. (This is my personal motorhome, a 1995 Winnebago with a 5.9 pusher engine in the rear. I own an automobile repair shop and we have very little diesel experience.) I have installed a brand new mechanical lift pump from Interstate McBee that I believe runs off of the camshaft. It has a hand pump on the side of it. If I pump that about 50 to 60 times, I get fuel into the injection pump. I can then get the engine started and it runs for about 60 seconds and shuts off as it runs out of fuel. I replaced the original lift pump because it was hard to start. Do you think it safe to assume that I could have a worn camshaft lobe and it's not activating the mechanical lift pump well enough to supply fuel to the engine? The only problem I had before was that of hard starting after the unit sat for a while. I can't see into the engine to look at the camshaft lobe but I can feel it and it feels smooth and it does feel like the lobe is in good condition. Electric lift pumps are very expensive compared to mechanical. I can mount a electric lift pump on the frame near the tank which is about 20 feet away from the engine. Do you think that might be my best option at this point? Thank you! Ray Munsch(###) ###-####or***@******.***
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

I only know a little on these older engines and know if the fuel cutout solenoid was not engaging then the engine will not start, also on this engine if the return check valve was bad it could cause a hard start condition after the unit has sat. I think at this point I am going to put your question back up for other experts, maybe another expert will have some input on this, my goal is for you to be satisfied and I really can not say about the electric pump.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Robert! By "cutoff solonoid", I assume you mean the solonoid that moves the rack in the injection pump that stops the engine by cutting off fuel pressure and flow to the injectors. I believe that's all OK as I haven't messed with it and I CAN get the engine to run by manually operating the lift pump and it will run very well for about a minute.
Is it possible that I haven't gotten all of the air out of the system? If so, what more can I do? I have already cracked the injector lines loose at the injectors. I'd rather not install an eklectric pump as it is very expensive to get a good one.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the solenoid I am talking about. It is possible that you have not gotten all the air out, I might pull the filters, make sure they are topped off, then bump the starter about 6 times and then give a hard crank no longer then 30 seconds.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert: In the morning I'll make sure the filters are topped off but my thought is that they must be or I wouldn't be able to get the engine to run by operating the lift pump manually. Your thoughts? ...Ray
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Maybe I would see if the filters are topped off to the top when you pull them after cranking... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** You said you might leave my request for help open for other experts to see. If there's someone out there who knows these older systems, that would be a great help.
I could offer a lot of help to guys working on older front-engine Porsches. That's about 95% of all we take in at my shop. (Porsche 928, 968, 951, 944 & 924) We get them shipped to us from far & wide. How do I get started? ...Ray
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I did put your question back up but I do not know when or IF another expert will respond they come and go daily...

As a kid that was my dream car 944 that is cool you work on them. On this site is a car section and I have seen a bunch of questions for them...

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also road race (track) two 944 Turbos (951), one has the Porsche engine but the other has a GM LSx engine. The turbo car is almost as fast as the V-8 car! You should have one!
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

LOL... That would be cool..... Robert