Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I just bought a 1981 Fleetwood-Pace Arrow, on a P-30 chasis

Customer Question

I just bought a 1981 Fleetwood-Pace Arrow, on a P-30 chasis w/ (I believe) T-400 trans mounted to a 454 ci engine with 39K original miles. We bought it in Reno, NV from a used car lot and want to get it back to san jose, ca. The only thing is the 250 trip
includes 75 miles climbing through the sierra nevada on I 80 up to 7K feet. The transmission seems to wind out and very noisy when ascending any grade, the mechanic from the lot says that what it's supposed to sound like as it is a 3 speed with no overdrive.
It sounds like its going to blow up. Is there no overdrive on this, could it be a leaking trans modulator or fuse controling shifting may have blown. I'm at boomtown a resort on the cal/neva border, don't know weather to bring it to a shop for diagx back in
reno, or if there is some test i can perform here to judge if it is working properly befor i try the remainder of this trip.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't think it is supposed to be that noisy.............and did you check the transmission fluid before you took off? Is it dark or bright red? I suspect that you should get it checked before driving home and be gentle with it! The filter may be partially plugged and servicing this would be a good idea..........you don't know what kind of treatment it got and sitting a long time is never a good idea on these coaches. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get this resolved o.k.? Hope it wasn't serious and please get back to me if you need more. We can offer a phone chat service if you think it would be useful and quicker.