Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

The fridge on our new keystone cougar will not run on

Customer Question

The fridge on our new keystone cougar will not run on propane when slide out is retracted and it is hooked to our pickup. We were told it would run on propane when traveling. What can we do?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

What is the model of the fridge?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dometic RM2351.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

So it runs fine on LP when the room is extended? Want to be sure you are trying it on LP and not AC power....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran on the gas all afternoon when slide out was out. When we retracted the slide out it stopped working. It is sparking, trying to light but it doesn't. The fridge is beside the stove and they won't light either, but I don't think they are supposed to when traveling? It will run on electricity when retracted.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes they should run when the slides are in and you are unplugged. Two things can cause this, low voltage and if the LP was getting pinched off some how. If it is sparking it should want to light off. I would be checking the voltage of the batteries when you are unplugged the fridge needs at least 11 volts to work properly. When you are plugged in the power converter is making the voltage and should charge the battery. When you unplug you are running off of battery power only.

The other issue is the Lp if a line was getting pinched off it would be a major concern. A shop can test the LP pressure with the room extended and retracted to see if that is the cause.... I would check the voltage and if it is good have it looked at and show them what it is doing, it is not right.... Robert