Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Itasca 2008 Cummins 375HP. 27,000 miles. Check engine on and

Customer Question

Itasca 2008 Cummins 375HP. 27,000 miles. Check engine on and off for 200 miles. Along with the check engine eventually the Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter lamp comes on. At some point black smoke is coming out big time. Then at some point the stop engine comes on and I pull over. I wait about 20 minutes. I'm 20 miles from the park so I restart, no lights so I keep going. No loss in power. Get to the park to check in and the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts. I park and have not moved in 5 days. I'm suppose to be towed to Cummins on Wednesday. With holiday no one can come out to where I am.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

I would not try to drive this if the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts, you can cause more damage and would not be worth it. It sounds like something is going on with the DPF system . What the shop will do is hook up to your engine computer and see what faults are active, the Cummins software will walk the tech. through the troubleshooting for whatever codes are coming up. In the long run having the codes pulled saves time and money and will take the guess work out of what fault is occurring. I do know if you have a fault with the DPF system and you try to drive the unit you can cause damage to the engine so I think the best course of action on this would be to have it towed and then the fault codes pulled. Robert