Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I own a 1997 bounder 36S. While driving to a weekend camp

Customer Question

I own a 1997 bounder 36S.
While driving to a weekend camp out, I started the generator so I could run both AC units.
About halfway to the campground I heard a load "pop" sound kind of like a shot gun.
The generator stopped running - along with both roof AC's.
When I go to the campground and plugged in (30 amp), I found that only my front AC unit will come on. The rear AC unit will not.
Also, I didn't have power in the "portable appliances" circuit (front outlet by passenger driver seat, overhead cabinet over second captains chair, GFI at stove, outlets on both sides of bed, outlet in passenger side cargo compartment, GFI above bathroom sink, outlet under dinette table, outlet in utility compartment).
Attempted to reset both GFI outlets - no luck.
Attempt to reset circuit breaker - lound noise at GFI by stove.
Obviously there is a short - but where to look?
Microwave working ok, refridge working on AC ok, front TV working ok, rear TV working ok.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if a capacitor exploded? Did you check the circuit breakers on the genset? This may take some time to sort out. And most of the time you can't run both A/Cs on 30 amps. Many older Bounders won't let you run both unless you are on the genset. Is this coach new to you by chance? Get back to me with this and I can help you sort this out............all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inspecting the genset, I found a single piece that may need to be replaced. It is a marqui 5500. The piece I noticed to be disconnected is on the top and reaching underneath the cover. It has a plastic assembly on one end and has a long spring that seems to pull both ends together. The plastic end seems to have come off of a lever located back underneath the cover.
I attempted to start the generator - it seems to start, but then dies quickly. Like it's not getting fuel.
How would a blown capacitor short circuit a specific AC circuit?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the governor spring assy.............and it won't run without it. That might account for the large "bang" you heard. Did you check the circuit breakers on the genset? And the rest seems like it might be a result of the genset, but the problem is surfacing at the transfer switch and I would test that once you get hooked up to a 50 amp supply again. With a 30 amp hookup, you are only going to run one A/C. YOu might need to check the reset on the inverter/charger as those circuits run through there. Hard to tell without some testing what might be damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fleetwood bounder 36S has a control unit that automatically sheds electrical loads when both AC units are active. The RV is a 30amp rig - so a 50 amp scenario is out of the question. The power control transfer unit automatically and seemingly successfully transferred the rig to shore power. Only problem now is the one ac circuit that seems to be shorted out.
I have owned this rv since 2008. Most recently it has been in storage for 2yrs. - potential mouse problems...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me clarify - I am currently plugged into shore power (30 amp).
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Possibly...........and the load shed unit which is probably made by Intellitec may have been damaged. I have had several questions today with the same issue and that turned out to be the problem. Those both were on 50 amp setups however.........but, they work the same way. You need to go and check out the A/C that isn't running by beginning with the breaker and following up to the unit at the ceiling and see if you have good AC power there. Then we can check out the controls. Those other circuits work through the inverter...........but, not the A/C. Check the outputs there and follow them as well. A small digital multimeter is best for this. It may take some time and it may be more than one issue here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Intellitec Climate control unit, along with ac circuit breakers, and 12v fuses, are located above my refrigerator. If I open that compartment, what am I likely to find behind it?
The power transfer control unit is located in the front (hood) compartment on the driver's side.
Something is shorting that particular circuit - but where do the wires run?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you check out the inverter to see if that needed to be reset? Make and model? And I don't think that the unit under the hood controls the Intellitec controller..........not at least any I have seen. Those work off just a 12 VDC fuse and usually from the main load center..............or is that what you are referring to here? There may be another Intellitec product under the hood that controls the batteries and some of the other systems.

Some are made by RV Custom Products as well. If you can give me the part number off that I can check my manuals tomorrow and see what I can find. Those are at my shop, but I will be going there in the a.m.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The expert suggested that I needed to plug into a 50 amp service. My rv is a 30 amp rig. That is a stupid suggestion.
The expert suggested something might be wrong with the inverter. My rv does not have an inverter - again, stupid suggestion.
The expert was confusing the intellitec climate control unit with the power transfer control unit under the hood. Again, stupid.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to locate any of those part numbers for me?