Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Same sceanrio. Connect 5th wheel through tch power, I get

Customer Question

http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/1vniv-5th-wheel-batteries-go-dead-even-shore-power-on-converter.html
Same sceanrio for me. Connect 5th wheel through hitch power, I get lights (dimly), but connect only to shore power and everything 110 works, nothing 12v does.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to check is the batteries and see if they are dry and out of water or if they are over 3 years old, they may be bad. You should have a small digital multimeter for some testing here to make this faster. About $15 or so at most hardware stores. Batteries can be load tested at most places that sell them. Be sure and take a photo of the hookups! Get bac

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

back to me with the results and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery was in fact dead. Charged battery for 6hrs and tested at 11.73 volts after charging (prior to taking the battery out to charge it today, it had been in the camper which was connected to shore power for the last week. strange that it was dead after that long being in the camper an charging).Put back in camper and I have 12 volt fixtures working again, but I think its just off battery.Also, when the battery completely disconnected (or even if its bad), shouldn't the converter still provide power to all 12 volt fixtures in the RV? Additionally, I used to hear the converter cooling fan run when plugged in to shore power but no fan comes on at all now. Seems like the dead battery might be because the converter was not charging it properly?Lastly, with battery re-installed and connected to shore power, testing the converter at the red "batt pos" wire, I am also get a reading also of 11.73.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the battery load tested? That is the only way to really tell what the actual condition is. And that voltage you read wouldn't be good if the converter is working..........you want to see about 13.7 VDC there. That looks like the OEM unit and there is an upgrade that is all electronic now and has no AC ripple which can be easily inserted in your housing. About $199 for a 45 amp unit. Takes about an hour to change out and it comes with good instructions. Progressive Dynamics is the company. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have the battery load tested. But setting that aside, does it seem pretty likely that the converter is also bad? Its actually not the OEM, well, it may be but was actually replaced once already after the one that came with the camper when new failed after about 5yrs. What's the typical life expectancy on converters and is there anything I can do from a routine maintenance perspective to ensure it lasts longer?Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It needs to be tested for output with a volt meter. No way of knowing how long one will last, but not taking care of the batteries won't help as it has to work harder and if the batteries short out from no water, then it can ruin them as well. Some, like the Progressive Dynamics model has adjustable charging which can extend battery life. And you are quite welcome! A positive rating on my assistance would be greatly appreciated when we are finished as it is the only way I get compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood. But just making sure. In your opinion in addition to a possible bad battery I've also got a bad converter. Correct? Thanks!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It seems like that...........BUT testing them both would tell you in just a few minutes.