Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

What causes the hot/cold water to be reversed in my motor

Customer Question

What causes the hot/cold water to be reversed in my motor home when using the city water connection. But it is not reversed when I use the coaches water pump, it is then normal, hot on the left, cold on the right.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

This is not a common problem to have. What year is the Thor, has it always worked like this?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you have an outdoor sprayer and the valves are open. I have seen them do some strange things when the valves are left open. Normally the water heater would have three valves, a hot cold and bypass. The hot and cold should be open, or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed, or valve handle running against the pipe.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thor is new for 2016, not a month old. My dealer has no idea as to why, and they contacted thor motor coach and they don't know why it works OK when using the water pump, bout not OK when hooked to city water.The by pass valve is in the closed position on the line to bypass the water heater. I suspect there is a clogged valve with material in it because it wasn't flushed properly when assembled. There is a filter on the intake to the water pump which was full of a foreign material, plastics pcs. I cleaned it out, but no differerence. We are very disappointed with the dealer and Thor Motor Coach. Would like to get a plumbing print to show how it flows when not using the pump. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Sounds like a warranty issue and I would make them fix it. Sometimes you will find a check valve on the back of the water heater, it will screw right into the tank and then the line hooks up to it.. Sometimes when they fail the spring and disc can dislodge and block the flow of water or cause it to mix. IF you see that check valve on the back of the water heater I might remove it and see what happens, it would be plastic or brass fitting about 3" long.... I do not have a print or I would give it to you.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert