Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Randall, I have a problem with a 5th wheel rv that has been

Customer Question

Hi Randall,
I have a problem with a 5th wheel rv that has been sitting in storage. I get no power inside to it at all. I have done some checking and can tell you this...
I DO have power to the 30 amp outside outlet
I am plugged in.
The breakers in the RV are NOT tripped,
All the fuses (12 volt fuses) are OK
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The A/C and most of the other appliances are all controlled by a 12 VDC control board. That means the battery and charging system have to be working and at least 11 VDC available. So I would replace the battery(s) first and be careful to mark the leads so you get them back on the same way. Taking a photo is a good idea here. Then once you get the new battery(s) installed, go and double check the service breakers in the load center and flip them all off and then back on again. That should correct this, but if not, get back to me. While you are out, pick up a small digital multimeter as that is very handy in tracking down issues like this. About $15 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. The load center for this is probably either one made by Magnetek or WFCO and they are near the floor level and have a dark brown cover that opens up and exposes the fuses and service breakers. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need mor as all follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can replace the battery fairly easily, at least for testing purposes. I located the load center, and it is the Magnetek. I have already cycled all these breakers, main and others, to no effect.
Is there an easy way to test the magnetek box?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes, on the testing..............with a small multimeter. And you can check to be sure that there is good AC power INTO the cord. There may be an issue with the cord itself............mice or something else. A meter allows you to check it and track it down quickly. I will be out for breakfast for an hour or so and will check back in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, issue resolved....I have several wires burned through, likely as a result of possibly being someplace with no neutral wiring...replaced the wiring, and then replaced the converter box.....now all is working.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Great! That is usually due to being hooked up to a 240 hot source rather than a 120 VAC source. The ground leads burn up due being hot and directly grounded. Not many other causes of this. Try to think about where you were when this happened. It can be a problem in the shore cord as well...........and that won't go away unless you find the spot and wire around it..........usually the plug. Look at the lugs and see if they looked burned or the rubber has gotten hot and melted them slightly. Please let me know if you need more on this............