Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

My holiday rambler with a 300 diesel engine will not start.

Customer Question

my holiday rambler with a 300 diesel engine will not start. it started , put in drive moved 10 feet than 3n on drive than stalled and will not star. the fuell is on as you can hear it
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Joe

I will assume your coach has either a Cummins ISB or an ISL engine.

If you can hear the electric fuel pump rumnning when the ignition key is cycled on, then that tells me the engine has
a good power and ground feed to the ECM (COMPUTER) and "should" start.

From your description, the most likely cause of the engine shutting down is that there is air in the fuel lines between the
fuel tank and the engine.
There may be a very small leak that allows air to enter the lines or one of the fuel filters as fuel either drips out or
drains back into the tank. This type of "air lock" will usually cause the engine to run for a short time - until the fuel
in the line at the engine is used up. The engine stalls when the air reaches the injector pump.

You can Try removing the the fuel filters and filling them with fuel and repeatedly cycling the key and electric fuel pump attempting to restart.

Sometimes the primary fuel filter will have some type of manual fuel primer pump also.

-Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe