Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Here. We recently bought a 1989 chieftain which has some

Customer Question

Hello, John here. We recently bought a 1989 chieftain which has some issues - among which it sat for four years. My question concerns the rear part of the unit. From the rear axle back it visibly sags. Not the springs or air bladders, but the floor sags. the sides are slightly buckled and also the rear cap has separated from the seam on the upper left corner. I have been told that there is most probably a rotten wood issue - and I agree. how do I get to it. The frame is not bent and the layer that sits on the sawhorse-looking spacers on the top of the frame has not rotted and collapsed around them. I had an auto repair for 23 years and am retired but still like to repair things. I'm not afraid to tackle this job - I just don't need to do more than necessary.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You might have a project here.........we do a lot of that sort of repair in my shop. It USUALLY requires some removal of the damaged area to get to the "wood" area. What would really help here is for you to attach a photo or two of the damaged area to your post so I can actually see what is involved and then I can tell you a lot more. It may be once I see that I can give you more in a phone chat. Just a thought.........all follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really would like to finish the engine and transmission work before I start on the project I called about. As I said earlier, I should be able to start in a week or two and send photographs of what I uncover (as per your request) and then arrange a phone conversation (also as per your suggestion) as how best to address the situation I contacted Just Answer about.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Great! IF you Bookmark this you can come right back to it again any time. I am on here every day and will watch for your post.